Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Happy Bday C-mo

It is my friend C-mo's Bday today.  To celebrate we decided to play 18 at Far Corners in Boxford, MA.  It was a fun day with A LOT of frustration, but more on that later.

The Course:





Far Corners is located in Boxford, MA which is about 30-40min outside of Boston (http://www.farcornergolf.com/).  You pass by Merrimack College on the way there and on the way home you pass by the General Lee (no kidding, I almost drove off the road).  We have been thinking about playing this course all summer long but have been driven to other courses for one reason or another.  Im happy that we eventually got here because it is a gem.  27 holes, 3 sets of 9 hole tracks, two of which play into eachother and the last 9 tucked away on the back side of the course.  We originally thought about playing all 27 but that just wasnt in the cards.

The course wasnt in the best of shape but I dont blame it on them.  It has been raining like the tears down my face from watching The Notebook (dont laugh at me Im a sensitive guy) which makes it tough to cut the greens and fairways.  They had also recently punched the greens on the first 9 which made them unpredictable and slow.  I would imagine that the course would play really well if it was groomed to their usual standards.

It is a great track though and is perfect for playing golf this time of year.  There are a lot of trees and it is a very pretty walk to both play golf and enjoy the fall foliage.  If you arent in somewhat reasonable shape I wouldnt recommend walking though.  Im not saying that Im an adonis but I go to the gym 2-3 times/wk and I was winded after walking up the first fairway.  There are a lot of ups and downs on the course but it makes for some great views.


The Round:

My day was a shit show of a beginning.  I had to leave early because our tee time was a 6:42.  We have an 8 month old puppy that I was trying to not wake up so my wifey could sleep in.  I went out to get my keys and much to my surprise they were with my In-Laws in North Attleboro (we do not live anywhere near there).  At first you might think, no problem just take the other car, ladi-dah, go with the flow.  This would be sound logic if my clubs, shoes and rain gear werent locked in my car.  F!  Not to fear C-mo, I would never let a friend down for their Bday round of golf.  I went in my basement and put together a shag bag of clubs that I used to use in 1995, my wifes putter, and shuffled off to the course.  My scoring and ball striking suffered but my fun didnt.

I started off with a couple of pars and thought it was going to be a great day.  It didnt stay that way though and I had some big numbers on my card.  I also did not have any birdies, oh well, life goes on.  We did have a turkey for a four caddie.  Seriously, it led us to our shots down the whole 2nd hole.  I should have taken a picture but I just didnt think of it at the time, my apologies.

C-mo played well and was striping (I originally wrote stripping, he was not getting naked) the ball off the tee.  He was a little left and the trees ate a couple of them but all in all he had a good round.  Both of us suffered on the greens but, as I said before, we blamed it on their poor condition and the water on the course.  Here is a pic of C-mo contemplating which set of trees to put his tee shot into


He put it right down the middle, I chose the Right sided trees.  They looked much more inviting.

The Beer:

Far Corners did not have any cart girls.  I dont know if they condone drinking on the course but the trash barrels certainly said that they did.  They did have a good selection of beers in the club house and a couple on tap.  Wachusett's Country Ale and Shock Top were the selections and we decided to have one of each.  We didnt want one to be jealous of the other, its only fair.


The Wachusett's (http://wachusettbrew.com/) was a great fall beer for after the round.  It is a lightly hoppy ale with good flavor.  It has a crisp finish that leaves you wanting more.  They didnt try to get to fancy with adding  spices which I really appreciate.  I would have definitely had another one but like I said I couldnt play favorites.

Shock Top is a Belgian white (http://www.shocktopbeer.com) and is a great summery beer.  It was nice to finish with because it reminds me of summer even though it was only 60deg out and I was wearing a long sleeve shirt.  It has a good unfiltered flavor but is a little too sweet for me, others love it though (ie my wife).

If I was forced to drink another I would have gone with the Wachusett.  Side note, how amazing would that be if people forced you to drink beer.  Like a little world where you have to chose between being shot or drinking a beer.  I would choose the beer 10/10 times.

Final Tally:

0 Birdies, 2 Beers.  I cant wait to play the course again with my real clubs.  If you have the chance get out there too.  Until next time keep Drinking and Driving . . . . . it long!

No comments:

Post a Comment