Monday, October 24, 2011

All Alone

So I was slotted to play 18 with my buddy.  He bagged out at the last moment (due to a night of heavy drinking, cant be that mad at him) so I played 18 at Ridder Farm all by my onesies.  I almost decided not to play but it was too nice of a day to pass up.

The Course:

Ridder Farm Golf Club is located in East Bridgewater (http://ridderfarm.com/).  It used to be a dairy farm (big surprise there) that was switched to an 18 hole course in 1965.  It is a good course to go to if you are looking for a confidence boost.  It is as wide open as a 15 year old standing on the street corner in China Town.  It isnt terribly long either, which doesnt take away from the course but makes it more fun to play.


The back 9 tightened up a little bit (just to give you a little tickle) which was nice because it really brought out the fall foliage.


There are some nice water features on the course too which bring some risk reward into play.  On this hole the 70 year old guy that I was playing with told me he would call me a pussy (so old school Boston, I loved him like a family member) for the rest of the round if I didnt take my driver out and try to go over the water.


I took his challenge and blasted it over the water on the fairway.  Thank god because it was only the 9th hole and I dont doubt for one second that he would have followed through on his end of the challenge for the rest of the round.

They are running some great fall rates right now, $35 for 18 on Fri/Sat/Sun and even cheaper than that for play during the week.  Unbelievable value for the money!  Go out and play there, you wont be disappointed 

The Round:

So like I said I showed up to the course alone.  Im glad that I did though because it made me realize how special the game of golf is.  There is no other sport, activity, place on earth (especially in the North East) where you are forced to spend 5hrs with 3 complete strangers and with-in 5 minutes you are friends.  I was paired with 2 Irishmen and the old school Boston guy and by the time we were walking down the first fairway we were already telling jokes, complimenting one another, and poking fun at each others games.  These guys were great!  I was asked if I took steroids (more on that later), called a pussy, and was told that I was fukin  unlucky (fucking with an Irish accent) all surrounded by a round of golf.  Sounds like family right?

I brought my new driver out to the course with me.  I purchased a Tour Edge Exotics XLD-LS (http://exoticsgolf.com/), and I now call it my anti-gravity club.  This thing is stupid long!  Its made out of some metal that I cant pronounce.  In fact Im lead to believe that NASA is shutting down because their engineers wanted to work for Tour Exotics instead of the government.  When you hit it the ball travels up in the air and just floats, has a nice conversation with a cloud, and then plops down 300yds later.  Im not kidding.  I hit a drive that landed in the rough, bounced, and still went over 300 beans.  That is when one of the Irish guys told me he was going to make me piss in a cup after the round.  The club also sounds amazing!  Everyone in the world turns their head to see what you are doing when you hit it.  Seriously there was a man in Japan who stopped eating his sushi and pondered what was going on in East Bridgewater.  I tried to get a video so you can hear it but it didnt work out.  Ill try again in the future.

Now most of you are probably saying, who the hell is Tour Edge?  I read about them in one of the golf magazines that I get and I was instantly hooked.  They dont sponsor anyone on tour, meaning they dont pay people to play their clubs.  Therefore, the players dont advertise their company on their body or bag.  But dont be fooled by all that marketing BS.  There are a handful of tour players who use a tour exotics club, one might even be ranked #1 in the world.  I think that speaks volumes about the company.  Get out and try one and I can guarantee that you will want it in your bag.

The rest of the round was up and down.  I played alright and came away with a bunch of pars and no big numbers.  I had some looks at bird but the little bastards are elusive.  Still a fun day and I didnt even drink on the course.  I know that I shouldnt need drinking to make an activity fun but lets be honest, it usually helps.

There was one funny hole.  17 has high tension wires right down the middle of the fairway.  Ive never seen it before.


I dont even know what the ruling is for these.  The hole is a par 5 and I hit my drive to the right side of the fairway (depicted above).  I hit a hybrid over the top the wires and it hit them on the way down.  One of the other guys I was playing with hit a screamer down the middle of the fairway that hit the pole and kicked to the right.  We all just laughed and decided to play our balls as they lied.

The Beer:

So Ridder Farm has a very strict policy on drinking on the course...


Clearly enforced...


So I played by the rules and didnt drink on the course.  We tee'd off at 8am so I didnt want to look like too much of an alcoholic in front of people that I didnt know.  The course does have a very inviting sign when you are done though which I thought was a nice touch...


I decided to take them up on the offer and went over for a Harpoon IPA (http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/).  Now I have had Harpoon in the past but Ive never really drank it while thinking about what I was going to write.  They make a damn good IPA and it was a great beer to have on a crisp fall day after the round.  I was honestly a little surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I also instantly felt like I should now pay attention to every beer that I drink because I might be missing out.

Harpoon has a great combination of hops that give it a great flavor unlike other IPAs that have so many hops in them it feels like you are getting punched in the face every time you take a sip.  Dont get me wrong, I love IPAs.  I just feel like they get a little out of hand at times.  Harpoon gets it right though and they left me wanting more.  I only had one because I had to get home.  Plus I was drinking by myself and didnt want to look like the lonely drunk at the bar.

Final Tally:

0 Birdies, 1 Beer.  Ridder Farm kicks ass.  Tour Edge is the Truth!  Harpoon is where its at for IPAs.  Until next time...In this cold weather use a Hot Tottie to warm up your Body before you play golf

No comments:

Post a Comment