Monday, October 10, 2011

9 at Harmon with the Doc

I got invited to play 9 holes the Harmon Club with a MD that I work with.  What an amazing place.  It was a windy but fun afternoon with a couple of delicious beverages afterwards.

The Course:

The Harmon Golf Club is located in Rockland, MA (www.harmongolf.com).  This place is AMAZING!  It is a golfers paradise.  If you live anywhere in the area you have to check it out.  They have a full grass range with covered/heated bays so you can hit golf balls year round.  The have a pitch and putt course with all grass tees which is perfectly maintained.  A huge short game area for bunker practice, chipping/putting, and a place to practice side hill lies.  We played the 9 hole course there which is one of the best courses that I have played all year.  To add to the list they have a top of the line gym facility and a great dinning area too with a full bar.  Everyone that knows me knows that I love Norfie.  If I lived any closer to Rockland, I would drop my membership in a heart beat and join Harmon.

I didnt get the chance to take any photos while I was playing.  I was technically having a "meeting" with the MD that I played with so I didnt feel it was appropriate to bust out my camera and snap some photos.  Here is a stock photo of the course though.


The course is all target golf, which I love.  You can take your driver out but you better be accurate with it (who the hell is right?).  There is a water feature on almost every hole which as you can see by the photo is very pretty.  The layout of the course also for the most part makes you play a right to left shot.  You can play a slight cut but no slices allowed.  The greens were phenomenal.  They were rolling at about a 10/11 and keep in mind this is October which is amazing for New England.  I love playing on fast greens though because at least they play true.  You dont feel like you are playing Plinko like most of the other greens in the state at this time of year.

The Round:

I was nervous as hell stepping up to the first tee.  That all went away though when the doc blasted his drive into the trees.  It was at that moment I knew that I was in good company.  Now Im not saying that I piped my drive right down the center but I knew if I was a little wayward with my drives that I wouldnt be laughed at.  It was really windy that day which always makes it interesting.  A knock down shot isnt really in my arsenal so I always have to throw it up in the air and let the wind blow my ball around.  This usually ends up with me yelling at the wind which, like your favorite sports team, never listens.

I didnt play that great on a couple of holes.  I was trying out a new driver that I just could not hit straight.  Everything was going right off the tee and then the wind would take it further right (awesome!).  It was put back in the bag and I played my hybrid for the rest of the day.  I was able to put together a string of 3 pars but had no birdies on the day.  I was putting like the Tiger Woods of old (not like Tiger Woods now, he sucks) which was fun.  The doc played well and was a great about not putting any pressure on the situation.  Just a normal guy who like to get around and play some golf.  We were originally going to play 18 but decided on 9 given the conditions and the fact that beer tastes good.

The Beer:

Harmon has a full bar with a bunch of beers on tap.  They do not have any cart girls due to the short yardage on the course.  The Doc was telling me about one of the houses that abuts (who is impressed by that vocab word) the course.  Apparently during tournaments they have a cooler set up and you just walk up, grab a beer, leave a buck and be on your way.  The course also sets up a bar in the middle of the course which according to the doc pours a heavy bloody.  Now were talking!  That is the kind of tourney that I want to play in.

We decided upon Sams Octoberfest for our after round refreshments (www.samueladams.com).  It is a great beer which went down smooth.  I am a huge fan of Octoberfest beers in general and Sams gets it right.  I has that crisp taste that you want for this time of year.  A light hop flavor and not a whole lot of spice.  They leave that for their winter warmer.  It is a great blend and definitely a beer that you can have multiple glasses of without feeling heavy.  I would highly recommend you try it following a round of fall golf.


Final Tally:


0 Birdies, 2 Beers.  If you can tell Im a fan of Harmon Golf Club.  Seriously get out there and at least take a look around.  While you are there enjoy an Octoberfest, you wont be disappointed.  Until next time, work on your knock down shot while knocking down shots (I hear it helps).

No comments:

Post a Comment