Sunday, May 15, 2011

Retro Post #2

Here is the other retro post.  Im sorry that it took so long in-between posts.  This is a recap from a round with my friend Frank and his GF's - twin sisters - husband light (HL).  Husband light is what I call someones Fiancee.  Fiancee is just too french for me. 

The Course:

We played at Braintree Municipal golf course (www.braintreegolf.com).  No one in the group had ever played before.  We decided to go there on a recommendation from one of my co-workers.  I was very impressed with the course, especially for a Municipal course.  Most Muni courses in MA are not that well kept (Leo J and Ponkey) but Braintee does not fall into that category.

If you play golf the same way that I do, bring extra balls.  There is a TON of water on Braintree and it is always in play.  I hit one of my tee shots to the right (big surprise) on the second hole and found 8, no exaggeration, extra balls.  It was a good thing too because I needed them.  

The course is a good mix of long and short holes.  It does not require the use of too many different clubs if you are a consistent golfer.  I on the other hand I had the opportunity to go through my whole bag.  I couldnt get my driver to behave until the last couple of holes.  That led to me using my 3 wood and 3 hybrid off the tee.  I wasnt really hitting those well so that led to me using a healthy mix of my irons out of the fairway.  I like to think of it as getting my money out of the course.  Playing like the pros can be so boring sometimes. 

The Round:

Like I eluded to earlier I did not play my best golf.  Frank, HL and I donated a bunch of golf balls to the Davey Jones locker.  That being said we all had a great time.  I might have sneaked some watermelon vodka (more on that later) onto the course.  The loser of the whole had to take a sip as a penalty.  I looked at it as winning personally but Frank and HL did not share my enthusiasm. 

The highlight of the round for me was hitting a 35 foot putt for par.  It felt great.  I also had a blast off the tee on 14.  After the fight my driver and I were having through the earlier part of the round it was a nice change of pace.  It also led to me letting out a very loud "woo-hoo."  My apologies to the golfers that were on the surrounding holes.  To those of you reading this post who are not golfers making any amount of noise over the decibel level of a giggle is frowned upon on the course. 

Frank had some great knocks off the tee.  We have been playing golf with each other for years and he has always been strong in that category.  HL is a south paw and a great guy to play with.  Had some difficulty off the tee just like myself but didnt let it bother him. 

The Beer:

Like I said earlier Braintree does no allow drinking on the course.  That leads to sneaking clear liquids on the course in a water bottle.  The high score of the hole had to take a penalty sip.  If players tied then you both had to take a sip, much to the chagrin (SAT word of the post) of Frank. 

We finished the round in about 5 hours and decided to hit up Unos for a beer afterwords.  I decided upon a Leinenkugel, pronounced lie-nin-coo-gell with a hard g in gell, Sunset Wheat (www.leinie.com).  I am a huge fan of Leinie's.  My wife's friends call it fruity pebbles because it is that delicious.  It is a little fruity but not over the top.  It is perfect for a hot summer day and it doesnt leave you with a funny taste in your mouth after drinking more than two of them.  It is a nice unfiltered wheat beer that I would highly recommend to anyone after a round of golf. 

I enjoyed my 22 of Sunset Wheat and headed on home.  Looking forward to the next round at Braintree and hope to have another Sunset after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment