Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Retro Post #1

I played a couple of rounds before I started this blog.  Once my friends heard about Birdies and Beer they wanted to know why they didnt make it into any of the posts yet.  Well boys here they are. 

The Course:

Every year for Patriots Day my two work buddies and I head out of the city for our annual Marathon Monday golf outing.   We usually go where ever it is nice and this year we decided to play Pinehills in Plymouth (www.pinehillsgolf.com).  Pinehills has two tracks and both are always in amazing shape.  This year we decided to play the Jones course because we have always played the Nicklaus course in the past. 

Because it was so early in the season we were able to play for only 60 beans (usually $110).  That includes the cart (which if you dont take you are a complete idiot) and free use of the range to warm up.  The reason why I say you're an idiot if you dont take a cart is because some of the trips between holes take 3min by cart.  Plus where are you going to stash all your hide away booze? 

When we pulled up to the first tee the starter greeted us with some sound advice.  He said "hit the greens and dont over read your puts and you will play this course well."  Oh really, just like that?  This game is so easy.  You mean all I have to do is hit a green in regulation and make my putts and I will play well?  I was seconds away from kicking DJ G-ram out of the cart and asking this guy to caddy for me.  But seriously if I didnt over read the break in some of my putts I would have played much better.

Having played both courses I honestly cant say which one I prefer.  Both are in immaculate (SAT word of the post) shape.  I would have to say that the Jones course requires the use of more clubs and different shots.  On the Nicklaus side of things you can go more driver - wedge.  You cant really go wrong though if you are playing Pinehills.

The Round:

The teams were DJ G-ram and myself vs. Bag and C-mo.  We decided to have G-ram and C-mo play straight up and Bag spotted me 3 strokes.  G-ram and I lost three ways (individual x2 and team) but we won in the which cart drank the most during the round. 

I couldnt get off the tee to save my life.  Not usually my problem but what are you going to do.  I was doing pretty well around the greens but not well enough to make up for my inability to make it past the womens tees.  The boys were nice enough to not enforce the pants down rule, it was a little cold out.  DJ G-ram was blasting it off the tee past everyone but had some trouble around the greens.  If we could have combined our forces like Captain Planet we would have kicked some ace.

Bag and C-mo were their usual steady selves.  Bag is a great player and was armed with new irons that gave him an extra 10yds when compared to his old irons.  C-mo doesnt really mess up big.  He might have a bogey or double here or there but never any big numbers.  

I dont even know what my score was at the end of the round.  Probably had something to do with the drinkey-poops during the round.  I know I had an awesome time though!

The Beer:

Marathon Monday is usually a long day of running for some great people who have dedicated months to training.  To us it is a long day of golf and beer that required no training.  The four of us are just naturals.  Call it god given, genetics, what every you want.  We're like Maryland; Golf and Beer is what we do best, yumm yumm yumm. 

DJ G-ram and Bag met at my house early.  We stopped in a D&D for a mornin cup of joe.  Did you know that they serve Irish Coffee?  Neither did we, what a great idea. 

Pinehills does have cart girls.  Im not trying to be sexist by saying girls and not people but seriously does any course have cart boys?  God I hope not.  We also had some extra in the carts for in-between showings of the staff.  We settled on Bud Light for Bag/G-ram and myself.  C-mo went diesel.  Im not even going to comment on the quality of Bud.  I prefer C-Lights when we are drinking domestic but they didnt have it.  The one thing of note about Bud Diesel is that they have their crown emblem etched in the tab of the can.  That way when the sun shines on it there is a shadow cast of their logo on top of the can.  Nice touch Budweiser.  C-mo was rather impressed. 

It was a great, long, fun day and it was nice to add another member to the annual Patriots day golf outing.  Cant wait for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment