Monday, May 9, 2011

9 at Norfie

I was able to sneak out and play 9 holes at my home course on Sat 4/7.  The weather forecast was for rain and thunder storms but it held off long enough to get the back nine in.

The Course:

Norfolk Golf Club (norfolkgc.com) is just over the border from Dedham going into Westwood.  It is my home course and I have been a member there for 3 years.  I love Norfie.  The die hards there will describe it as a great bar with a nice back yard.  There is also a quote over the bar from our current club president that says "it is too late to go home early."  It is a great place to grab a beer and play some golf if you ever get the invite.

Norfie is a 9 hole track that is a par 35.  Dont let the distance and par fool you though.  It is tough with a lot of OB that seems to be a magnet for my golf ball.  The rough is also very long which makes getting up and down around the green nearly impossible.  The course also has a lot of elevation changes.

The course was in fantastic shape for this early in the season.  Green as could be with all the trees in bloom.  As my Bill-in-law would say "it was GORGEOUS."  It feels great to be back out on the course for the spring season.  The greens were a little slow compared to how they usually roll.  At least that is what I told myself as I three putted two of the holes.

The Round:

I was fortunate to meet up with my wifes uncle Mike.  I love playing with Mike because we play the same game.  Hit the ball as far and as hard as you can and hope that it goes in the direction you want it to.  At one point in the round Mike blistered a 4 iron into the green on 7.  He came up about 10 yards shy and was in the rough.  He turned to me and said "it would have been smart to lay up with a 7 iron but where is the fun in that."  The only difference between Mike and I though is that he is an 8 HCP and Im a 16.  He is one of the best scramblers that I have ever seen.  He can get himself out of situations that involve trees, bushes, walls and still make par on the hole.  Amazing!

I played bogey golf with a 9 over 44.  Not a bad day overall.  I was hitting the ball well but not scoring well.  The bright spot of the day was when I absolutely crushed my drive on 5.  I am a self admitting over exaggerator when I tell stories but Im not here when I tell you that I hit it 300yds into the wind and up hill.  It felt GREAT!  I read an article in Golf Magazine before playing about skipping stones or something like that and apparently it worked.  Thank you Golf Magazine.

I also finished the round with the same ball that I started with.  A small miracle in my book.

The Beer:

Norfolk has a great set up.  Drinking is allowed (almost encouraged) on the course and the club house is literally smack dab in the middle.  You can access it off of the first tee, coming down 4 and then coming back up 5.   If you take a cart, something I never do, there are coolers on the side big enough to fit at least a six pack.  I wasnt kidding when I said this is a drinkers course.

During the round I enjoyed a lovely Absolut and tonic that I grabbed walking past the club house coming up 4.  I know, I know the title of the blog is birdies and "beer" but I enjoy a refreshing mixed drink every now and then.  After the round we went in for some food and livations.  We were served by the wonderful Amanda and Kelly, both veterans of the club.  I decided to go with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html).  I usually dont have such a full bodied beer following golf (usually because it doesnt leave room for multiple beers) but it was perfect after the round.  Nice and cold and not too hoppy.  I hate it when they over hop a pale ale and try to push it towards an IPA.  If you wanted to make and IPA then just make one.  It also fit in well given the cold rainy weather that was rolling in.

Overall a great day in the sun with a new to me beer afterwards.  Until next time, keep swinging and keep drinking.  The swing oil always helps.

4 comments:

  1. Last time i played there i had twleve Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. by the 14 hole i totally felt the oil kick in. SNPA kicks ASS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read. I never figured you for a writer, but I suppose Ron Burgundy can inspire anyone. I'll have to play a round next time I'm home.
    Mann

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are we going to see the commentary for your 9 at Fresh Pond? Also, check out the new line of Nike Golf bags. They have insulated cooler pockets for storing beers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im going to have to get to Freshy at some point. You should come back up here and we can play it old school style. I love the cooler pocket. They just need to make it a little bigger.

    ReplyDelete