Monday, May 16, 2011

18 at Wentworth Hills

Frank, DJ G-Ram and myself played 18 at Wentworth Hills Golf Club this past weekend.  It was a great day at one of my favorite public courses.

The Course:

Wentworth Hills (www.wentworthhillsgc.com) is located in Plainville MA.  They were running a special, $32 for 18 on the weekend.  It is right on the border of RI though and you actually end up playing 3-4 holes in the Biggest Little State in the Union.  They have had some trouble keeping the place going over the past couple of years.  It is always a question if they are going to be open when the season starts.  I heard they are under new management this year though so hopefully they can turn it around.  It is one of my favorites though so get out there and support the course.  Otherwise we will lose another gem to a development full of poorly built houses.  

I love the course because it requires you to think risk vs. reward and it also requires you to use all your clubs.  You have 14 in the bag, might as well get your moneys worth out of them all.  I tend to pick risk over reward because it just isnt as fun to play smart.  Tee it high and let if fly, chicks did the long ball.  There are some man made water features on the course and some very difficult Par 3's.  Here is a picture of the Par 3 #8


The course was in great shape overall and the greens picked up speed as the morning dew burnt off.  I was a little disappointed in the sand traps.  They were lacking a little depth and I found my ball resting on a mud pile on the 3rd hole.  I know Im not supposed to be in there in the first place but lets be honest, ISH happens. Other than that though the fairways were rolling out and were as green as could be.

The Round:

Frank, DJ G-Ram and I all finished in the higher 80's to the low 90's.  The weather wasnt that great but at least is wasnt raining.  I used my GolfLogix (www.golflogix.com) ap for the first time.  I was very impressed and best of all it was free.  I could keep track of my score and stats right on my phone, it gave me fairly accurate distances and in the end I got an email which gave a report on the stats.  The only down side is it made me realize how horrible I am at hitting greens 38%, not good.

Frank was trying out his new True shoes (www.truelinkswear.com).  He says they are the most comfortable golf shoe he has ever worn.  Said it was like wearing slippers on the golf course.  They look pretty cool too, I would wear them.  As an added bonus they dont leave any spike marks on the green.  Everyone wins!

DJ G-Ram had a redonkulous shot out of the woods that rolled to about 5 feet.  I thought that he was relieving himself in the woods and then out of no where came this shot.  Awesome.

The Beer:

Wentworth does allow drinking on the course and they have a lovely staff that will accommodate a good time while playing.  Here is a pic of DJ G-ram and Frank with Tracey.


We started with B-Lights.  Again not a beer that I think is deserving of a description.  On the second time around we had C-Lights.  I found out in college that Coors has the highest alcohol content for a light beer.  If you are going to be drinking domestic lights you might as well get the best bang for your buck.  Plus you cant go wrong with the cold meters on the side of the can.  No idea how that Harry Potter magic works but I like it.

At the turn we went into the club house and G-Ram and I decided to have a Bloody Marry.  Absolutely delicious!  If you play this course have a bloody.  We also grabbed a beer for the road.  It ended up that 3 of our beers were skunked.  DJ called up the restaurant from the course and they comped us some free brews when we were done with the round.  I was impressed at his ability to sweet talk some free beers.  Always a good asset when playing golf.  Here is happy as a clam G-Ram with his treats.


After the round was over we went into the restaurant for some burger dogs (a cheeseburger and hot dog under one bun).  They were fantastic and a must have after a round of golf.  We cashed in on our free beers and I decided upon a Blue Moon (http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com).  I was a little skeptical to order a blue moon after a round of golf but I said that I would try a new beer every round.  Im trying to live up to that promise.  I was happy with my decision though.  Blue moon is a little fruity but just like Leine's not over the top.  It has a little more spice to it than I usually care for.  I would not have ordered another one if we were sticking around.  It came with an orange and Im not big on having fruit in my beer.  I let it slide though and actually ended up feasting upon the orange when the beer was done.  A nice treat at the end.

It was a great day.  I think the highlight of the round was finding 5 bucks when walking down 10.  Tracey was the only one who benefited from that find though.  Cant wait to go back to Wentworth in the future.  $32 for 18 on the weekend, you just cant beat that.

1 comment: