Friday, November 25, 2011

Gobble Gobble

Thanksgiving is hands down my favorite holiday!  You cant beat a holiday where your holiday cheer is measured by how much you can stuff your face.  Trust me Im real good at stuffing my face.  I won a blueberry pie eating contest for both most eaten and messiest in 3min.  I finished the pie, with my hands behind my back, not kidding.  I wish I had a picture of that to show you, you will just have to take my word for it.  Anyhouch back to golf.

The Course:


I played 9 holes today at George Wright golf course in Hyde Park, MA (georgewrightgolfcourse.net).  It is a Donny Ross (my boy) design that was constructed back in the 1930's.  It is an absolute gem and in my professional opinion (I say that very loosely) the best Municipal course in MA.  This course screams Donald Ross.  It has every aspect of what he was all about.  False fronts, blind shots, crazy greens, working with the land, etc. 

From behind the 4th green, you can see the 3rd in the back ground.

You cant even see where the hole goes from the tee.  It is not low and left which is where I went.

If you are only able to get out for 9 try to get on the back.  It is the much better half of the course.  Unfortunately for me I had to play the front.  Not upset in anyway but just not as exciting.  The first two holes are pretty much a waste.  It is about 650yds from the club house to the end of the property and Donny stuck two par 4s in that space, blah.  After that the course picks up though.  The greens were rolling, hmmm, okay.  They had been sanded recently so that is always a mystery for putting but what can you do?  Im still playing golf at the end of November.  Im not going to complain that much. 

The trees at this point dont have much left on them which hurts you in two ways.  One, it isnt very visually stimulating.  Just makes everything feel gray.  Two, there are a bunch of leaves on the ground which makes it difficult to find your ball when you spray it a little.  Now you can look at this as a bonus depending on how much of a helping hand you require.  If you play like me then you walk up to an area somewhat near to where you hit your ball.  Put your hands in your pockets and kick around in the leaves and mumble to your self.  Pretend that there are far to many leaves to find you  ball and take a free drop and play on.  Perfect!

They are running a small fall discount right now (you can almost call them winter specials at this point) but not much which is a little disappointing.  It was $23 I think for 9.  When you consider that I paid $30 on the weekend at Poquoy Brook $23 doesnt look so good.  The course is 5min from my house though so you cant beat the convenience.  If you are a Boston resident they give you a decent discount year round though. 

The Round:

I couldnt find anyone to come out a play so I headed out by myself.  Im not going to pass up 60 degrees and sunny.  Are you kidding me, its almost December!  Im no scientist or politician but I think that Al Gore has it all wrong.  Global Warming kicks ass!  Walking around in short sleeves with the sun shinning down, yes please.  If you figure that the ice caps are going to melt in what 300+ years lets soak up the nice weather while we can.  There will be a nuclear fall out way before the ice caps melt. 

I ended up playing with a nice family.  The son was in college and could crush the ball, a real solid player.  The dad was alright, mostly annoying and thought he was way better than he actually was.  He was clearly trying to keep up with his son and doing a horrible job at it (little too competitive, just let it go dad).  The mom was a good golfer.  Hit it well off the tee and could really keep moving which was a nice surprise. 

I did not play well.  When I played for a fade, it would go straight or hook.  When I tried to draw it, forget it.  I also had a handful of hosel rockets, always a fun surprise when the ball goes shooting off into the woods.  On a Donald Ross course that isnt going to get you anywhere.  My swing is quickly falling apart at the end of the season.  Im okay with it I guess.  I figure I wouldnt usually be playing at this time of year so who cares if Im hitting everything but a straight shot.  Its all bonus time anyways.

The Beer:

They were running a special on Bud products.  $2.75 for anything Bud related which is a good deal.  I didnt take them up on it though.  The bar was empty and I wasnt about to belly up by myself at 2:15 in the afternoon.  That is the path to alcoholism my friends.  Instead I came home and enjoyed a Back in Black by 21st Amendment with my dog (he enjoyed a rubber bone).  You arent an alcoholic if you drink with someone else.


George Wright does have a handful of domestics at the bar but nothing on tap.  Ive reviewed the Back in Black before in another post (birdiesandbeer.blogspot.com/2011/09/butter-brook-gc).  I was just as impressed this time around as I was the last time I had it.  A wonderful brew. 

Final Tally:

0 birdies (Not even a par) and 1 Beer.  Until next time...free drops and lots-o-hops make for a good fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment