Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Just keep golfing, just keep golfing

So its December, I live in New England, and I just played golf today in a short sleeve shirt.  Buh-dah-du-da-dah, Im loving it!  Sorry to rip off the tag line but it was a widely successful campaign. 

The Course:

My pro J. Struebing and I played Franklin Park Golf Course today (www.cityofboston.gov/golf/WJDGC/).  It is the second oldest public golf course in the nation and it is a great place.  It is mostly links style with some really nice holes tucked back in the woods.    

A view across the course, you can see 4 fairways
It is a great design though with really hard greens.  I thought that I was somewhat able to read greens but this course proved me wrong.  It took 18 holes for me to one putt and trust me I had some really close looks before that.  It made for a good challenge though and a fun day.  There were also some great elevation changes with some blind tee and fairway shots (local knowledge required).  I stood on the 6th tee not knowing where we were going and blasted my drive into the 8th fairway, not helpful.  It was a great drive, unfortunately for me in the completely wrong direction. 

From the fairway on 6. I was 100 yards to the left (not in the picture)

The weather was warm (65, you joking me?) and the rain held off for most of the round.  The golf gods were smiling on us because the weather report said rain all day.  It was $35 for 18 walking.  I was a little disapointed in the price.  I would expect a little discount at this point in the season especially given the condition of the course (soaked and doing work).  I will be back next year though.

One last pic from 16, just a well designed fun hole
The Round:

It is always nice playing with Jesse.  He is such a great guy and an even better golf coach.  He is so laid back and great at explaining the cause and effect of a golf swing.  He lets me bother him with all my questions about plane and swing thoughts and always has an answer.  He's awesome.  To have that on the course makes me feel like a true professional.  If only I played like one.  I did not play up to my potential but I dont care because its December and Im still playing golf in short sleeves (happy dance).  I have plenty to work on in the off season but for right now Im just enjoying the nice weather. 

J-bombs played well.  Straight crushing it off the tee and stupid around the greens.  It wasnt a birdie day due to the greens.  Some unfortunate edge burners that will drop for sure next time around.  He did have some nice sandies and up and downs. 

For all you animal lovers dont read this paragraph.  For those of you who hate Canadian Geese then save and publish this paragraph.  On the 15th tee there was a whole flock of geese about 25yds in front of the tee box.  Now normally they would not be in any immediate danger, but not today my friends, oh no.  I ripped a drive low and left off the inside of the club face and one hopped it into the side of the geese.  It made a thump followed by a squawk.  I hate these flying dump trucks so I thought it was hilarious.  Plus arent they supposed to fly south for the winter.  Its their own fault for still being around.  P.S. The goose was fine so dont worry.

The Beer:

I didnt have any beer on the course or any afterwards.  Im sorry If I have let you down.  I did have a nice dust cutter of Jim Beam though (www.jimbeam.com).  For those of you who dont know me, I LOVE JIM BEAM.  Im somewhat sure that bourbon is the cure all  for a lot of things, colds, broken hearts, AIDS.  Im working on a grant to study its effects.  Ill let you know the results. 

I bought a 5th for the course (I didnt drink it all) and then parlayed it into a lovely Manhattan when I got home.  It was delicious.  I promise to have some beers next time.

Final Tally: 

0 birdies and 0 beers.  Came away with a couple of pars and a feeling there is some great golf in the future.  Until then...Burning edges and pounding beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment