Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Woopsie

So here is a picture of the course that we were supposed to play...


This is Shining Rock Golf Course in Northbridge, MA (www.shiningrock.com).  My friend Mike and I were supposed to play for $Free.99 but he messed up the reservation.  He set us up for Monday instead of Sunday, an honest mistake (if you are a dumbass) but it didnt get us on the course because they were all booked up.  To Shining Rocks credit they did give us numbers to surrounding courses so that we could still try to get out and enjoy the day.  Big ups to them for trying to help us out.  It is that kind of hospitality that will bring me back even if I have to pay. 

The Course:

So we called around and Sandy Burr was able to take us.  They had a cancellation and we jumped on the opening.  Sandy Burr (www.sandyburr.com) is in Wayland, MA.  I have played this course in the past but when I was much younger.  I grew up in Natick so this course was the best option that was close to my house.  I never got to play it and drink at the same time though so this was a different experience. 

The course is a Donny Ross design (yea I called him Donny, we're tight like that) but I wouldnt call it one of his best.  Dont get me wrong, it is a very nice course and worth a try but you wouldnt play it and automatically think about Donny.  Some false fronts and it works well with the land but there are better designed Ross courses out there.  It is set on the Sudbury river and a word to the wise, dont ever play there after some hard days of rain.  The course turns into a marsh quickly and they usually have to close some holes.  The day we played was nice though with some soft fairways but it is playing very well for the end of the season (minus the punched greeens).  Most of the leaves have fallen off the trees which makes it not as visually appealing as usual but still a nice walk.


They do have some fall rates going on right now ($40 for 18) so go and check it out.  I think they could do a little better on the price given the time of year and the condition of the course but Im always looking for a better bargain.  It isnt long enough where you have to take a cart.  So save yourself a little cake on the cart and apply it to your bar tab. 

The Round:

So the course was nice but the round was HORRIBLE!  I was playing like poop.  I blamed it on not being prepared to play Sandy Burr but the truth is that I just wasnt at my best.  Now I have played like doodie in the past but had a great time doing it.  That was not the case today. 

We were paired up with a couple of Asian guys.  Dont get the wrong idea about me.  Im not a racist or one to stereotype.  I mention that purely for descriptive purposes.  They were terrible golfers!  They would duff it all the way up the fairway and then take their sweet ass time on the green like they were lining up a putt on the 18th at Augusta (only to 3 putt every green, awesome!).  I thought that golf would be a universal language but I was very wrong.  These guys didnt speak a lick of English.  You try to describe "play faster" with hand signals and gestures and see how far you get.  We just got a lot of head nods a smiles.

Mike played well.  He was crushing the ball off the tee and had some difficulty around the green.  His typical game.  We were both so frustrated with the day that by the 16th tee we were ready to go home.  The only thing that made the back 9 tolerable was the two 16 ounce bud heavies at the turn (by two I mean two a piece).  Just an FYI, a sand trap makes a great koozie. 


Im not trying to condone drinking (yes I am) but lets be honest with each other here, it always makes life better.  It makes ugly people better looking, it makes a hard day at work melt away, it makes your nagging mother less annoying, and it makes playing horrible golf with a couple of people you hope to never see again, hmm okay. 

Needless to say I was happy when it was all over.  I did par the last hole which helped as well.  I was more excited to get into the club house and grab a frosty beverage. 

The Beer:

Sandy Burr did not have any cart girls on the course.  Ive come to find out this is customary for this time of year due to the fact that all the college girls go back to school.  I believe that they usually do have on course alcohol assistance during the regular season.  The club house isnt accessible from much of the course.  Realistically only the 1st and 10th are close enough to duck in and grab your libations.  I tell you this so you can plan accordingly.  If I had planned ahead better I would have grabbed more than two at the turn. 

After the round I tried Festbier by Victory Brewing Company (www.victorybeer.com/beers/festbier).


I have had other Victory's in the past at the brew fests that I go to throughout the year and these guys know what they are doing.  Festbier is their Octoberfest and man is it a tasty brew.  Real good hop flavor and a smooth finish.  Hands down one of my favorite Octoberfests and that is saying a lot, trust me.  This is my favorite time of year for beer and I hold companies fall beers to a higher standard.  Victory straight delivers with this brew.  Watch the video on their website.  The beer flavors actually make your brain think you should drink more (now I know why I like octoberfests).  It is a great beer for the fall and early winter.  I will definitely be looking for this in the liquor stores and you should too.  You will not be disappointed. 

Final Tally:

0 birdies (I didnt even have a legit look at one, sad face) 3 beers.  Until next time...A Slice is never Nice unless you are taking down an OctoberFeist.

No comments:

Post a Comment