Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Soaked!

My friends C-mo, Bag, Jake and I played at Black Swan on Sunday.  The weather said it was going to rain in the morning and then clear up a little and then a "possibility" of thunder storms in the afternoon.  They were SO wrong, hence the title to this post.

The Course:

Black Swan is located in Georgetown, MA (www.blackswancountryclub.com).  It was previously Georgetown Country Club and was private.  What a great track!  It is still very well maintained and plays like a private course.  It requires you to use all the clubs in your bag and all the thoughts that you have up in your cabeza good or bad.  There is a lot of risk/reward types of shots which in my opinion make a course that much better.  "Can I carry that 260yd stream?"  The answer is no but I sure do want to give it a go. 

If you are ever in the area or looking for a great place to play North of the city give Black Swan a go.  You will have to call in advance for the weekends to be able to get out.  The course fills up quickly which is a sign of how good it is.

The Round:

So in weather person lingo (I want to remain PC) "rain in the AM with a clearing in the afternoon" means steady down pour all day long.  What a great job where you can be wrong 60% of the time and still keep your job.  Could you imagine being dead wrong at your job 60% of the time and have your boss think "Wow Mr. Smith is really killing it today."  Amazing!

We were originally supposed to play Far Corners in Boxford.  Due to the rain Black Swan had a lot of cancellations and we were able to play the better course.  We tried to call in the AM to try to get on Black Swan and the woman on the phone told us we couldnt.  We just drove there anyways and were one of 3 groups on the whole course.  We showed her...not really.

I wasnt completely prepared for the rain.  I wore some rain pants and a rain resistant (code for doesnt stop rain) jacket.  By the end of the 1st hole I was soaked through.  It would have been better for us to play in board shorts and no shirts.  The upside of the rain was that it forced me to purchase a new FJ rain jacket and rain gloves.  Worth every penny and trust me I spent a lot of pennies.  I think that the rain jacket was treated with RainX because the rain had no chance against this jacket.  Every single drop beaded off.  The gloves were awesome too.  With every increase in rain the grip only got better.  Im sure the purchases led to my back 9 score being 3 strokes less than my front 9. 

We decided upon a friendly match for the day just to make it interesting.  It was C-mo and Baggy against Jake and I.  Jake and C-mo played straight up and Bag gave me 4 strokes.  Everyone was playing their normal game.  Bag wasnt playing as well as he usually does but neither was Jake so it was fairly even.  It came down to the 18th hole.  The bad guys were up by 2 strokes.  Jake got his par and I ended up chipping in for a bird to even everything up.  It was a great way to end the day.  We thought about going back to 18 and playing a play off hole but decided to just go to the 19th and celebrate our tie. 

The Beers:

Bag and I both brought a little fruity pebbles.  If you dont know what fruity pebbles is then you need to go back and read the past posts.  At the turn after I made my new purchases we decided to grab a couple of beers for the rest of the round.  Black Swan provides you with beer buckets!!!  That is reason alone to go and play this course.  We went with the usual domestic Bud, Bud Light, and Miller light.  It was nice to be driving around in a cart with a beer bucket between my feet.  We almost lost it a couple of times due to some quick corners dukes of hazard style but Jake was able to save it. 

After the round at the 19th I had a Sammy Summah and the other boys stuck with the domestic.  It was a really fun day and we didnt let the rain ruin our good times.  If anything it made it that much better.  I have never really played in the rain before but now that Im prepared I cant wait to do it again.

As a side note I apologize for no pictures.  I use my Iphone and didnt want it to get too wet.  I also apologize for the delay in posts.  I havent really played many different courses so I didnt want to keep posting about the same places. 

Final Tally

1 Birdie 4 Beers, see you next time

No comments:

Post a Comment