Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cyprian with some friends


This represents how I played golf this past weekend.  My friends C-mo, Baggy, Ron and myself played a round at Cyprian Keys in Boylston, MA.  It was a beautiful course with great friends filled with bad golf (all by yours truly).

The Course:

Cyprian Keys (http://www.cypriankeyes.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp) is located in Boylston, MA, about 15min northeast of Worcester.  It is a beautiful course cut through the trees and super challenging.  It plays mostly like a target golf type of course.  It twists and turns with a lot of dog legs.  It is definitely one of those courses that requires you to use all the clubs in your bag, which I love!  I only used my driver on about 6 holes.  I probably should have only used it on 2 but who doesnt like to go for it?

Most fairways are narrow with danger and OB lurking beyond the trees.  The first hole is a 150yd carry to a 70deg right hand turn in the fairway just to give you an idea of what you are up against.  There isnt much water which I think the course could use a little more of.  Not to add more challenge, trust me it doesnt need that, but just for aesthetic reasons.  The greens were in great shape (maybe a touch slow due to the rain we got the day before) and they had a lot of dynamic to them with mounds and ridges.  When you finally got to the green your job was far from over.

Dont get me wrong.  Im not trying to steer you away from playing this course.  I thought it was a great track and I'm dying to play it again.  I just want to give an accurate description of what you are up against.  The best part is if you want to make some smores in the middle of your round they have a fireplace available.  Either that or you can burn your golf clubs depending on the day you are having.  The choice is yours.


The Round:

As I stated earlier it wasnt my best effort.  I have been taking regular lessons, which are great, but I took one two days before I played and didnt have time to incorporate it into my game.  If the goal of golf is to see as much of the course as you can then I was the clear winner.  The woods at Cyprian offer a great view of the well groomed fairways and the bunkers give you an optimal line of sight to read your putts.  I was all over the place, losing balls left and right on a fast track to a 98.  Ouch!  I did have a couple of good holes but more double and triple bogeys than I would care to mention.

Baggie and C-mo played great! 81 and 83 respectively.  Bag had 3 birdes and C-mo was a par machine.  He tripled the first hole and still shot an 83.  Ron was a good golfer too and a really fun guy to play with.  He is friends with the other two from college so I knew he would be a good addition to the team.  Ron did some searching in the woods like I did.  I was happy to have a friend to commiserate with.

The Beer:

Bag and I brought our usual fruity pebbles to tide us over before we reached the beer shack.


Just in case you were wondering you are not allowed to do any art on this area of the course.  It is clearly marked.  The shack carried the usual domestics with a Corona and Heineken mixed in.  Margaret was there to help and was a lovely woman with sound advice.  If you purchase a Bud Light draft it is only $3.75 and 16 ounces vs. any other beer in a can which was $4.50 and only 12 ounces.  Guess what we went with.  Bud Lights all around.  The only downside was that they were in plastic cups and we tried to cover them.  It forced you to drink a little faster than you would usually.  We didnt want to do it but the container forced us to drink, that is what we told ourselves at least.  The other great design on this course was that you pass the shack 3 times.  The designer of the course clearly thought the same way that I do.  Nice job buddy.

After the round C-mo, Baggy and I went in for a beverage.  The restaurant at Cyprian has a great selection of draft and bottles.  Bag and I had the Wachusett Summer Ale (http://www.wachusettbrew.com/).


I thought it was a great selection following a hot day on the course.  Good taste with an orange flavor to it.  It has more of a citrus flavor than other summers that I have had but I enjoyed it given the setting.  I dont think I could drink many more that 2 but my doctor tells me that is bad for me anyways.  Chris decided on a Guinness.


I tried to get a picture of the water falling legs but it didnt come out that great.  I personally wouldnt select a Guinness after playing golf because it is a little to thick for me.  C-mo enjoyed it greatly.  They poured it a little quick and the Irish would have been pissed but it was fresh and delicious anyways.

Final Tally:

0 Birdes and 4 Beers.  I loved the course and want to get back out there again to prove to myself that Im a better golfer than this.  Dont ever let a course get the better of you.  Until next time keep swinging and keep swigging.

No comments:

Post a Comment