Wednesday, August 24, 2011

9 with my Wifey

I told you in the last post that I have been taking regular lessons.  What I didnt tell you is that my smoking hot wife has been taking them too.  She is really turning into a good golfer and have little doubt if she keeps up with it will be better than me some day (that isnt saying much).  As a side note we take our lessons at MIT (oh yeah were pretty much the smartest people you know) from Jesse Struebing (jstruebs@gmail.com).  He is the man!  If you are in the area and need lessons he is the one to go to.  Tell him I sent you.  We decided to go out and showcase her skills at Norfolk GC.

The Course:

We decided to go out and play Norfie late on a Saturday because there is no one around.  Emily still suffers from the typical starting golfers Psyche.  She thinks that everyone is watching her swing and everyone cares about what she does.  I am working on assuring her that no one cares about how she plays golf as long as she doesnt slow down play.  I have also told her that no one watching her, especially a guy, is focused on her swing.

Norfie is in mid-season shape and it was a ghost town.  Perfect for a nice casual 9 with drinks, cigars and good times.

The Round:

Most old timers at Norfie tell me Im crazy to get my wife into the game.  "Why would you ever want her to play with you?"  They are all divorced at least once if not twice.  A great source for sound advice on marriage.  The way I see it is 1) I do love my wife and enjoy spending time with her 2) If she wants to play more golf then I get to play more golf.  1+2=Ian winning!

We took a cart because it comes with a cooler attached to it.  Carrying 6 beers in your golf bag is torture.  We also had some nice cigars to smoke while out on the course.  Oh yes, I said WE. 

Em played well with a mix of great shots and some duffs.  To be expected when first starting out.  She was crushing it off the tee and is working on her game around the green.  I played okay but wasnt really focused on my game.  I was just making sure that Em had a good time so that she would want to come back again.  I think that my goal was achieved.


The Beers:

Our cooler on wheels stayed well stocked throughout the 9 holes.  We started with 6 (3 Coors for me, 3 Millie Lights for Em) and had to pull in for a pit stop coming up the 5th fairway to fill the tank.  It was nice playing a little slower than usual because we got to enjoy our time and drink some more beers than would have typically been consumed.  That coupled with the cigars made for a great afternoon/evening on the course.

Afterwards we went up to the club house porch for a night cap.  I had a vodka and tonic and Em had a G&T.  Amanda is the #1 bar tender at the club and makes a stiff drink.  Given all the beers we consumed on the course one Amanda drink was all we needed.  They were delicious though and a great way to end a fun day.

Final Tally:

Birdies - ?, I told you I wasnt paying attention to my game. Beers - 5 with a night cap.  Until next time Tee it high and drink it dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment